Joyce is a long-time unschooling mom, and creator of the wonderful unschooling website, joyfullyrejoycing.com. She has been answering unschooling questions online for many years, in fact, I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t looking forward to reading her responses!
Quote of the Week
“Radical unschooling is about understanding human needs and getting to know each child’s particular needs and how that child needs those needs met.” ~ Joyce Fetteroll
Ten Questions for Joyce
1. First, can you share with us a bit about you and your family?
2. You’ve been active answering questions on Quora.com, tagged as a top writer there for 2016. I was reading your bio and I loved your answer to the question, “What is unschooling?” Can you share your answer with us?
3. What was one of the more challenging aspects of your journey to unschooling?
4. I love that you’re drawn to sharing your insights into children and unschooling through the Q&A format. Here’s one you’ve tackled: “What did you make available or do with your child to help them learn to read? I keep hearing about playing games, putting labels on furniture. I have asked my 7 yo son if he would like to do that. He says no.”
5. Here’s a question that touches on the value of learning through experience: “How do you help your child learn gratitude?”
6. Another common question when it comes to living together closely in an unschooling home is, “How can I get them to do their chores?”
7. Developing a deep trust in children is a process. I loved this question: “Even if your children are happy and joyful, how can you know whether they are learning without measuring it?”
8. Here’s a seemingly simple question, but it hits a big truth about living unschooling. “Is it bad for children to eat their meals while watching TV?”
9. Your answer to this question has been viewed over 5k times on Quora and was featured on Slate.com. I love how unschooling helps us see how children live and learn and grow naturally, which often looks very different than with children in school. The question was: “How do you raise well-behaved children?”
10. Looking back now, what, for you, has been the most valuable outcome from choosing unschooling?
Links to things mentioned in the show
Joyce’s website: joyfullyrejoycing.com
Joyce’s blog: joyfullyrejoycing on tumblr
Joyce on Quora: her Quora profile